free evaluation



Follow GENEX Disability

Subscribe to Our Blogs via E-mail

Your email:

Posts by category

The GENEX Social Security Disability Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

Social Security Disability Benefits For Dependent Children


Social Security dependent entitlement for children can be one of the most confusing of all areas for those entitled to SSDI benefits. Who is a “dependent” child? Can a dependent child qualify for benefits on the record of the SSDI beneficiary?

The term “child” includes the following types of children:

•    Natural legitimate child  
•    Child of void or voidable marriage
•    Legitimated child
•    Illegitimate child with inheritance rights
•    Child of invalid ceremonial marriage  
•    Legally adopted child
•    Equitably adopted child  
•    Stepchild  
•    Grandchild/step-grandchild of SSDI beneficiary or their or spouse

In addition to being qualified as a “child” of the SSDI beneficiary, some children are deemed “dependent” and others are required to demonstrate dependency before entitlement can be established.

Benefit Termination (child): Benefits for dependent children may end at age 18, or if they are still in school, benefits will end either in the month in which the child turns age 19, or the first day of the month after the month the child is no longer enrolled in school full-time There are exceptions, for example: if the “child” gets married, this can terminate their dependent benefits entitlement.

Payee selection for the dependent child: If the child is age 17 1/2 or older at the time of claim processing, SSA will make the child their own payee. Typically, the preference order is first the custodial parent, then an adoptive parent with custody, legal guardian, natural or adoptive parent without custody, step-parent with custody, and on down the SSA established preference list.

For new SSDI claims in 2009, 34% of new entitlements had dependent benefits involved. The average dependent benefit for new SSDI entitlements in 2009 was $532.00/month.

If you have questions regarding Social Security disability, or if you or someone you know are interested in determining eligibility for benefits, please contact us today!

SSDI for Children


I don't fell SSDI should be approved or payed to a dependent described as a Illegitimated child that bears the/a fathers last name unless a DNA test determines that he is the child's natural father. I have seen a number of cases of this natural and the parents does not have to pay the money back. It's not fair to the tax payers, it's morally wrong that you can just name a father and immediately get dependent benfits.
Posted @ Monday, June 04, 2012 10:18 AM by Betty Wilford
Does a Family Court Judge have the discresction to divide a child's dependent benefit beteen both parents. The bio;ogical father is a law partner earning 300,000 per year and biological mother is the SSDI recipient! Further, can the mother's 1/2 be ordered to a Guardian ad Litem for payment of outstanding fees? Finally, if mother has child (age 16) full-time since May 08, 2012 and file a Petition for sole custody. How can the dependent benefits be returned to the mother to support child while waiting for a hearing in Family Court? Che minor child is 16 and this is a case in the Family Court for Kanawha County, WV - D. Mark Snyder, Family Court Judge. Bramble v Bramble 99-D-1437
Posted @ Friday, June 22, 2012 5:20 PM by Jeri Bramble
Ok so I am very confused and hoping that some one can help. I am a single mother of a 13 year old, her father has been receiving disability for the last 10 yrs and has only had to pay 55.00 a mnth in child support, he does not help with school clothes food ect. I was informed that my daughter is suppose to receive a check off of his disability bc she is his only dependent is this true? And if so what do I do to get what is entitled to her?
Posted @ Monday, September 03, 2012 11:34 PM by Shanna
We got a very startling and troubling letter from the SSA today. I have been on SSDI since 1994. I have three children; all of them received the dependent payment every month until they were 18. We put each of their payments in a savings account which they became the account holder of when they turned 18 (until then I was the "custodial account holder"). My youngest son is about to turn 18. (To complicate the situation, he is disabled himself and we are applying for guardianship of him to begin at age 18. He will continue in high school until he is 19 1/2, and SSA decided to continue to pay him his dependent payment based on my benefits until he graduates.) Here's the problem: SSA sent us a letter saying that whatever money he received as a dependent, if saved for him in a savings or other account, we must REPAY TO THEM, SSA, right now! This was not the case for our two older children, and as far as I know it violates the SSA's own rules! I have no idea how to handle this demand, other than to go to a lawyer. Any ideas? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Posted @ Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:34 PM by Kathleen P. Brannon
I have been receiving ssdi payments for 5yrs. for myself and my two dependent children. I was first told by ss office my children would receive 660 each a month along with my payment till age 18. In the end my children only received 660 a month together.I know this amount is not correct because my brothers children before he pass received more for each child and worked less income over the yrs than i have lived and worked longer and made more money per year than he did. I feed because i had to take legal action against the ss office they may have figured a way to keep some of my childrens entitlements. How do i know how much they should be getting?
Posted @ Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:35 PM by rick wing
My sister's daughter is on Disability. She has 3 children and has given her mother guardian ship of the boys. Is the grandmother entitled to dependant benefits for the kids?
Posted @ Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:41 AM by Joyce
i am a disable person recieving disablity for me and 11 yr. old.can she get her own medicare card? please advise!!!
Posted @ Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:51 PM by donald jennings
I am the SS payee for 2 adopted grand childern who recive SS benifits paymens. Do I file thier income on my income taxes as income for me ?? They are 10 and 9 years of age ???
Posted @ Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:09 AM by Jerry Dixon
My daughter has been a single mom of three children for eight years. Her children are 8, 10 & 12. Their father was to pay child support all along but did for only two or three months only because his wages were garnished. then he quit the job and has worked for "cash" so there is no paper trail. The case worker has been no help to her..Her ex-husband now lives and works out of state and I believe is involved in doing drugs. The case worker still is no help to her. My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD and two of her children were also diagnosed with ADHD. Is it possible for her to get social security benefits for her children?
Posted @ Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:59 PM by c. geisler
Trying to help my disabled son find out if his dependent child can receive any benefits from social security or anywhere. I called soc sec with him and he was told that because he worked a year that he was put on soc sec disability & medicare that there was only enough paid in for him to receive benefits. Is there any otherhelp for him & his child out there? Thank you
Posted @ Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:31 PM by tricia
im a single parent with two children. their father doesnt pay child support becasue of disability,can my children get any benifits from his disability and if so how would i go about that. 
thank you any imput is  
greatly appreciated.
Posted @ Monday, November 04, 2013 2:22 PM by diane
I was told that my daughters dependent claim was approved and adjudicated and sent to the payment center in maryland. does anyone have any insight onto how long it will be before payment comes?
Posted @ Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:12 AM by Beth
My children receive dependent benefits from their disabled father. We are about to divorce and he wants to use their monthly benefits as his dependents as child support instead of actually paying child support. Can he do that?
Posted @ Monday, December 02, 2013 2:00 PM by Teri
I just had a baby on 6/10/14 and she is three weeks today, and I want to claim her on my ssi case.... I don't know what I will need to do so, but I did call the office and they told me that the worker is on vacation and I was really wanting to know how I can do it on the computer?
Posted @ Wednesday, July 02, 2014 10:07 AM by Christial Michelle Poole
Why must I adopt my grdaughter to have her put on my ssd benefits since I have had full custody over 1yr and am her only support. My ssd benefits covers me only. I can't get support from soc scvs in Va. cause my income to high. I don't feel I should have to ask them for anything. My grd childs parents Never came to fight custody back in 6-2013, so Why must I adopt her to put on my benefits? Soc sec makes it hard for grdparents on disability to care for their grdchildren when this  
Generation of children are Having kids and can't support them. Please help me for I am at poverty level trying to support my kin. Thank you.
Posted @ Wednesday, July 02, 2014 5:37 PM by Victoria Princeton-crawley
My sixteen year old daughter gets social security through her dad. My question is , is this money for his personal use or is this money for my daughter well being such as using it for lunch money, maybe giving her and allowance to gather with her friends every now and than. My other question is once she turns 18 she will still have six months in high school, will the check began to come in her name until her completion of high school within those six months. I truely hope so.
Posted @ Tuesday, October 07, 2014 7:05 AM by Dianna
Who needs to file for paternity testing when the child does not have your last name and you claim the child as yours? And you want your child to receive benefits and she does not live with you?
Posted @ Saturday, December 27, 2014 6:27 PM by James Donley
Who needs to file for paternity testing when the child does not have your last name and you claim the child as yours? And you want your child to receive benefits and she does not live with you?
Posted @ Saturday, December 27, 2014 6:28 PM by James Donley
I have a 9 yr. old who receives SSDI for his fathers disability. He has 2 brothers which are now 20 and 21. They had to split the dependent allowance 3 ways until they reached 19. y question is, where is "their" part going now?? I was told he should be receiving all of the allowance now! The fater also pays child support out of his Disability check each month, per court order. Just curious, as I am thankful that I am receiving anything. Although states differ in laws/rules about child support from absent parents who are on SSDI. I agreed to drop child support after he became disabled, but the judge refused to drop it but he said he would recalculate it. Needless to say, after recalculate, the child support payment only dropped 27.00 per month.. 
Posted @ Saturday, January 03, 2015 4:51 PM by Liza
Post Comment
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics